The Nurmijärvi Campus is located 45 kilometers from Helsinki. However, most of our international students live at the campus, which is surrounded by nature. Read more about the Nurmijärvi Campus. Here is the description of the NGO and Youth Work course for the Spring Term 2021.
Spring 2021 – Application deadline 31.11.2020
Expertise in NGO and Youth Work (30 ECTS)
This Erasmus exchange course is designed for students studying youth-, community-, NGO or social work. The contents are also suitable for students studying education. The course is suitable for second- and third-year students.
Community educators as NGO and youth work experts (5 ECTS)
- History, evolution and current state of youth work, citizen action and NGO work in Finland.
Participatory pedagogy (5 ECTS)
- Application of participatory and action-based methods with different target groups and in different environments.
Promotion of agency (5 ECTS)
- Agency and promotion of social engagement.
Community Ecucators as Adventure education Experts (5 ECTS)
- On this course, students will familiarize themselves with the basic ideas, concepts, frame of reference, and principles of Adventure Education.
Human rights and diversity (5 ECTS)
- The relevance of respect for human rights and a democratic value base as the foundation of professional thinking and practice.
- Culture- and gender-sensitive work approaches
Internship (5 ECTS)
- Internship at a workplace within the field of youth, NGO, social work or education. Carried out as project work through which students get an insight into Finnish working life in the field of youth and NGO work
- gain an understanding of how the field of youth and NGO work is built up in Finland.
- learn pedagogic skills and how to apply them with different groups of people.
- learn about the background and structure of the Finnish welfare model.
A good command of the English language, both spoken and written, is required since the studies are conducted in English.
The programme is suitable for second and third year students of the field of youth, community, NGO, social work or education.
Good social skills and ability to work in multicultural settings and diverse student groups.
METHODS OF INSTRUCTION
Contact instruction/online, group projects, independent learning and supervised internship.
Evaluation is based on participation, written assignments and reports.
Humak Nurmijärvi campus is located by lake Sääksjärvi, just an hour north of Helsinki. There are frequent bus connections to Helsinki.
Housing is available on campus in double rooms with shared kitchen space (150€ / month). Warm meals are offered at a student discount at campus.
Students need to be aware of that they will have to pay the transportation costs to their internship places themselves. The transportation costs are 150-200€, depending on the location of the internship place.
February 2021 – May 2021
If you have any questions about our Expertise in NGO and Youth Work programmes, please do not hesitate to contact our personnel:
- Campus Coordinator
tel. +358 400 349381
- Erasmus Coordinator
tel. + 358 20 7621 352
Humak reserves the right to changes.