Nurmijärvi is around 45 kilometres from the downtown Helsinki. However, most of our international students life in the campus which is surrounded by the nature. Read more on Nurmijärvi Campus. Here are the descriptions of two Civic Activities and Youth Work courses.
Spring 2018 – Application deadline 31.10.2017
Young People and Social Inclusion (30 ECTS)
This is your chance to get to
- study at the leading higher education institution in Europe, in the field of youth work and civic activity.
- learn about the innovative ways of working with youth in Finland.
- learn about the outstanding Finnish education system and its values and principles.
The main focuses of the course will be on methods for empowerment and the topics of social inclusion and early intervention. Active citizenship and equality are other areas of focus during the programme.
The study will include following topics:
- Professional English
- Group Guidance and Counselling Techniques
- Project Management
- Youth Empowerment and Participatory Project.
Topics covered include sociology, psychology, educational science, social policy and social pedagogy. Previous studies in the field of youth and community work, NGO’s and civic activity, social work or education are recommended.
The course will be arranged in Humak’s Nurmijärvi Campus.
Please note that the course end date is 25th May 2018
Young People And Social Inclusion, Spring 2018
ADVENTURE SPORTS COURSE 2017 (30 ECTS)
Application deadlane 15.04.2017
This ERASMUS Exchange course is designed for students who would like to learn more about experience based learning and about adventure sports activities. Students should have no or very little past experience in adventure activities. The course starts from the novice level on skill instruction in hiking, climbing and kayaking.
The Adventure Sports course suits well for 2nd year students, whose study line is social studies, education, youth work or leisure and activity studies.
Introduction to Adventure Sports (10 ECTS)
– Experiential learning theories
– History of adventure education
– Teambuilding games and activities
Methods in Adventure Sports (10ECTS)
– Basics of hiking, kayaking and climbing
– Risk management and safety in adventure sports
– Environmental ethics
Activity organizing in Adventure Sports (10 ECTS)
– Planning and programming
– Project organization and logistics
– Processing experiences
• gain experiences in adventure sports and understanding of the theories in experiential learning.
• learn skills and gain knowledge that they can further develop in activity organizing.
• gain understanding of the importance of technical skills and educational knowledge in order to lead and facilitate safe experiences.
Contact instruction, group projects, independent studies and field trips
Evaluation is based on participation, written assignments and reports.
• A good command in English language, both spoken and written, is required since the language of study is English.
• Normal health and physical condition is recommended since a big part of the studies are based on sports and outdoor activities.
• Good tolerance for multicultural learning environment and diverse student groups.
• Good cooperation and communication skills.
September 2017 – December 2017
If you have any questions on our Civic Activities and Youth Work programmes after you have read the information, please, do not hesitate to contact our personnel
- Campus Coordinator
tel. +358 20 7621 279
- Erasmus Coordinator
tel. + 358 20 7621 352
Right to changes will be reserved