Humak in Nutshell
Humak University of Applied Sciences is a highly profiled, nation-wide university of applied sciences, specialising in the development of expertise in organisational activities and youth work, work community development, entrepreneurship in cultural management and creative industries, and the interpreting sector. We are the largest actor in our sectors in Finland.
The special feature of Humak is its deep roots and ownership in liberal adult education and civic organisations. Humak was established on the need to ensure nationwide, university-level specialist education and research, development and innovation activity in narrow but socially significant fields.
To ensure the nationwide availability of education and a strong cluster of expertise – a prerequisite for high-quality operations – Humak operates through a regionally decentralised, but operationally integrated nationwide network.
Humak is owned by Suomen Humanistinen Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy. We have 1,500 students and around 130 professionals working with us.
Humak is a Community Sharing its Knowledge
Humak seeks to intensify the work with its current partners and builds actively new partnerships. Humak is a community, and its operations are based on sharing knowledge and expertise openly and producing new informatiton in cooperation through various networks.
It is our aim to share our training, innovation and service processes with our partners and to thus ensure the development of training, tuition and new knowledge, together in a network, and to smoothly transfer the knowledge for the use of the professional sector.
Cooperation and common processes create a platform for the forecasting, innovation and development of future solutions. Students are closely involved in the development work, and Humak’s personnel bring their own expertise to the processes for the use and benefit of our partners.
Humak is an entity, a national cluster of expertise which serves its fields in the entire Finland and also internationally.
Humak’s vision is to be a international and social university, engaged in the development of a fair and communal Finland. Our mission is to provide participation, social wellbeing and communality. We create information, competence and expertise in our fields.
We are looking strong partnerships with Finnish and foreign universities. The Strengths are based on our competence and make our profile concrete and highlight the cutting edge of our fields of activity. The strengths guide the strategic development of our operations. The strengths create even stronger competence clusters and expertise and they also guide the management of our partnerships.
- Youth work and communality: we procuctise the skills to encounter young people
- Organisation work, work communities and integration: we improve the functionality, competitiveness and communal development of work communities.
- Interpreting and linguistic accessibility: we participate in the development of professional skills and technology supporting linguistic accessibility.
- Cultural management and conveyance: we promote cultural mananagement skills as activity supporting participation, and develop digital environments for cultural and artistic productions and services.
New, emerging sectors that rise from the margins of our strength areas which guarantee that the competence requirements of the business and industrial life are taken into account in our activity: New participants (we reduce the feeling of not belonging and marginalisation), New communality (we encourage network-based nanagement and guidance), Communication expertise (we promote the encountering of diversity and knowledge of cultural minorities), Human rights and equality (we encourage societal equality).
- We respect each others
- We are open
- We succeed together
- We are brave in a way we renew and are renewed
We are looking for strong partnerships with Finnish and foreign universities
Organisation Structure and the management
Humak’s organisation is divided to three services: education, innovation and common services. Our strenghts guide the work in all of the service branches.
Personnel email is form firstname.lastname@example.org. You find the contact details by clicking the people-icon in the header of our pages. You can also google the name by “firstname lastname Humak” and it will usually be the first result of your search.
Education services are responsible for Humak’s degree programmes and education, library management and study affairs.
- Education director Jukka Määttä
- Education manager Juha Makkonen (community educator programmes)
- Education manager Titta Pohjanmäki (cultural management and interpreting)
- Study affairs manager Noora Ahti
- Principal lecturer Tarja Nyman: Community educator (bachelor degrees)
- Principal lecturer Merja Kylmäkoski: Community educator (master degrees)
- Principal lecturer Hannu Sirkkilä: Cultural manager (bachelor) – on study leave
- Principal lecturer Pekka Vartiainen: Cultural manager (master programmes)
- Principal lecturer Elina Tapio: Interpreting (all programmes in interpreting)
Innovation services administer and govern Humak’s RDI, publication and business activities. All strenght areas are represented in the innovation services and teams are lead by team leaders.
- Innovation director Elina Ylikoski
- Innovation manager Timo Parkkola
- Development manager Mikko Äärynen
- Principal lecturer Eeva Sinisalo-Juha, Youth work and communality
- Principal lecturer Pekka Kaunismaa, NGO, Work communities and integration
- Principal lecturer Elina Tapio, Interpreting and linguistic accessibility
- Principal lecturera Katri Kaalikoski, Cultural management and conceyance of culture
Service process manages university of applied sciences management in finances, HR, communications and ICT.
- Service director Anna Mattila
- Service manager Jyri Latva
- Communications manager Jarmo Röksä
- ICT manager Ari Savander
Finnish University of Applied Sciences Ltd – Suomen Humanistinen Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy
Humak University of Applied Sciences is owned by (as 1.1.2015 -)
- Alkio-opiston kannatusyhdistys ry
- Kuurojen liitto ry
- Paasikiviopistoyhdistys ry
- Pohjois-Savon Kansanopistoseura ry
- Palkansaajien koulutussäätiö sr
- Työväen Akatemian Kannatusosakeyhtiö
Official contact adress:
Suomen Humanistinen Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy
Ilkantie 4, 00400 Helsinki
Board of Directors
Heikki Sarso, President of the board, Paasikiviopistoyhdistys ry
Ari-Pekka Lundén, Vice president of the board, Palkansaajien koulutussäätiö sr
Jaana Laitila, Vice president of the board, Alkio-opiston kannatusyhdistys ry
Timo Heinola, Kuurojen liitto ry
Jari Valtari, Työväen Akatemian Kannatusosakeyhtiö
Ensio Vatanen, Pohjois-Savon Kansanopistoseura ry
Kim Lindblad, representant of personnel
Juuso Tuulinen, representant of students
Where We Are?
Humak is operating nationwide in Finland. Our institution has campuses and research units in four major areas: Helsinki Metropolitan area (Helsinki RDI center, Nurmijärvi Campus and Kauniainen Campus), Turku, Jyväskylä and Kuopio. In addition we have RDI-offices in Joensuu, Kemi and Imatra.