Adventure and Outdoor Education
(Community Educator, Bachelor of Humanities, 210 ECTS)
The community educator studies train specialists in adventure and outdoor education. Adventure and outdoor education is based on experiential and activity-based learning methodology and aims at supporting the growth, development, wellbeing and agency of individuals, groups and communities.
As the basis of the studies is a multidisciplinary theoretical framework, which is put into practice in versatile authentic learning environments, such as lakes, the sea, forests, and in the fells and wilderness of Lapland. During the studies, students learn to plan and carry out safe adventure educational processes for different target groups and to evaluate and develop adventure educational activities.
The degree programme for community educators provides students with a wide range of skills for employment as a professional in the diverse area of adventure and outdoor education. After graduation, students have multiple employment opportunities within the different sectors of national and international working environments. Community educators with adventure educational orientation can be employed e.g. in the field of youth work, organizational work, education and training, wellbeing services, or nature- and adventure-based entrepreneurship.
Community Educator (BH), Adventure and Outdoor Education, is a bachelor’s degree programme within the field of Humanities and Education. The degree complies with the criteria imposed for universities of applied sciences (UAS) by the national qualifications system in Finland and with the European and national frameworks for qualification and other competences (level 6). For more information see Qualifications framework
- Studies begin: September.
- Language of instruction: English.
- Teaching time: Day time teaching.
- Mode of teaching: Contact teaching, Blended learning, Online Studies.
- Form of learning: Experiential learning, Coaching, Individual learning, Supervised internships, Work-based learning.
- Extent of the study program: 210 ECTS credits, see Study Contents.
- Planned duration: 3.5 years, including summer semesters.
- Tuition fees: charged from students coming outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland area, 9000 euros / study year. EU/EEA area and Swiss citizens are not subject to the charge (see Tuition Fees).
- Transportation and equipment fee: 1000 euros/study year (included in the tuition fee).
- Qualifications: Bachelor of Humanities (BH, in Finnish yhteisöpedagogi (AMK))
The studies in community education with adventure educational orientation coach the students towards the mastery of the variety of skills needed in the professional field of community and adventure education. Students acquire the essential principles and practices of preventive work and wellbeing promotion and familiarize themselves with the different forms of action within communities and society.
During the studies, students acquire pedagogical, social, technical, environmental and safety skills and are also prepared for entrepreneurship. Practical training periods and collaboration with working life are an essential part of developing the community skills and adventure educational competences of the students (see also Learning Environments).
The methods of adventure and outdoor education can be applied in various environments and contexts with different target groups, in different sectors of society. Adventure education can be applied e.g. in the areas of preventive work, youth and NGO work, education and training, and nature- and adventure-based entrepreneurship. In addition, depending on the students’ own interests and specialization, they may choose to work as instructors in e.g. kayaking, trekking, rock climbing and skiing.
Additional information and sources:
- Humak Adventure and Outdoor Education blog
- Staff blogs: Adventure educators need snow safety skills & High-quality snow safety education in Finland
- Brochure: Bachelor’s Degree in Adventure and Outdoor Education
- Brochure: Finnish adventure and outdoor education
- Erasmus+ Adventure Education Course (30 ECTS)
- Erasmus+ Humak Beings blog
- Adventure and Outdoor Education Courses (open studies) in Finnish
Before contacting Admission Services, please read these pages carefully. Do not send any applications to Humak Admission Services. All applications should be sent through Studyinfo Please see Eligibility and Application.
Humak Admissions Services
Telephone: +358 29 4519 300
Ilkantie 4, 00400 Helsinki, FINLAND